Sunday, January 17, 2010

Master of Horror

Caution: A namedropping post so horrorific even Miss Cody would envy

I've had a "Miranda's Picks" section for about a year now and it's a pain in my fucking ass. I'm constantly having to switch the old out for the new and my taste in movies is quite different from the average customer. It always takes me forever to pick movies out that I think the usual suspect will enjoy. So, after a week or so of thinking it over, I finally decided- fuck the customer, these are MY picks!! Thus "Miranda's HORROR Picks" was born!




For a self proclaimed horror buff, I found it surprisingly difficult to pick out a varied selection. I didn't dare touch the classics, them being the obvious choices.. (Nightmare on Elm St., Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Friday the 13th, Halloween, Reanimator, Phantasm, Dawn of the Dead, Dracula, Frankenstein, Exorcist, Rosemary's Baby) and I also didn't want to just throw all my favorite horror directors' movies in there and call it MY section.. (Argento, Fulci, Craven, Romero, Carpenter, Hitchcock, Bava, DePalma) I stood infront of the horror section for about half hour without picking up a single movie,.. truth be told, I took a vicodin prior so I think I was just pretty spaced out. (Helloooo chronic backpain!) I eventually came back to Earth and just demolished the aisle.


Here's what I came up with:
  1. Inside
  2. Demons
  3. The Thing
  4. Jaws
  5. Scream
  6. Poltergeist
  7. Pet Sematary
  8. My Bloody Valentine ('81 DUH)
  9. Opera
  10. The Serpant & The Rainbow
  11. Stigmata
  12. The Ring
  13. Cabin Fever
  14. Candyman
  15. Cold Prey
  16. Black Sheep
  17. Them
  18. Severance
  19. Frontier(s)
  20. House of 1000 Corpses
  21. High Tension

Looking over the movies, most have a lot in common.. I've fallen head over heels for French horror (Inside, Them, Frontier(s), High Tension) and British comedy/horror (Severance, Shaun of The Dead) I DID grab some classics (The Thing, Jaws, Scream, Pet Sematary, Poltergeist) and then I put some in there that are.. Ohh I don't know.. sentimental for me (Opera, Stigmata, The Ring)

The people that don't agree with my choices can go fuck their mother

Honorable Mention: 30 Days of Night, 28 Days Later, American Werewolf in London, Chaos, Children of the Corn, Childs Play, Dagon, Hatchet, Hills Have Eyes, House on Haunted Hill, Last House on the Left, Night Train Murders, Slumber Party Massacre

  • If you want to see a movie that, after watching, you'll wish you'd never seen.. then I recommend Chaos. It's the most brutal movie ever made. It made me puke.

And I know I forgot a lot of really good ones, but I fully intend on rotating these out for others


xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment